Den Gamle By has various eateries which serve lunch, coffee, cakes and snacks.
- If it’s cold or rainy, packed lunches can be eaten in ‘Madkassen’, which has seating for about 60 people.
- Bring a picnic basket and a vacuum flask, and find somewhere relaxing to sit. There are tables and benches at the Festival Grounds and in Anlægget, the small garden, as well as at several other locations.
- There are disabled toilets in the building behind the Mintmaster’s Mansion on the Town Square and in the exhibition building that houses the Danish Poster Museum and the Gallery of Decorative Arts. In addition, there are toilets and baby-changing facilities at several locations in Den Gamle By.
- If you suddenly need nappies, sanitary towels, pain relief, plasters or poop bags, they are available free of charge from the Information desk.
- To avoid damaging the exhibits and inconveniencing other visitors, it is a good idea to only bring small rucksacks for packed lunches etc.
- Lockers are available if you need to store larger bags. They are free of charge, and you are able to set your own PIN code.
Handcarts can be rented from the Information desk. It costs DKK 50 / € 7 to rent a handcart, and requires a valid ID or a DKK 100 / € 13,5 deposit.
When renting a handcart, please note the following:
- The handcart must be collected by the person who is renting it.
- The handcart must be returned in the same condition as when it was collected.
- The handcart must be returned to where it was collected no later than 15 minutes before closing time.
- The key for the handcart must be returned to the Information desk no later than 5 minutes before closing time.
- ID and any deposit will be returned on receipt of the key.
Dogs are welcome in the streets, but not in the buildings and exhibitions. Service dogs and guide dogs are exempt from this rule.
Wheelchair users and mobility impaired visitors
The cobbled streets in the 1864 neighbourhood can be a challenge for people who have difficulty walking, wheelchair users and for visitors with pushchairs/prams.
For mobility-impaired visitors and wheelchair users, we recommend:
- The ground and first floor of the Danish Poster Museum
- The Gallery of Decorative Arts
- The Jewellery Box
- Aarhus Fortæller
- The 2014 street and the 1974 neighbourhood
- All outdoor areas
We recommend flat, practical shoes.
Borrow a mobility scooter
Mobility scooters can be borrowed from the Information desk. In the peak season, the scooters are in high demand, so it is a good idea to book one in advance by phone. The scooter is easy to operate and free to borrow.
Smoking is only permitted in designated outdoor areas. The location of the smoking areas can be seen on maps in Den Gamle By.
It is 1.1 km to Aarhus Cathedral from Den Gamle By, which takes 15-20 minutes on foot.
The greenhouses are home to plants from all over the world. Admission is free. Both the greenhouses and Den Gamle By are situated in the Botanical Garden, a public park which is open to all.